Thursday, May 10, 2012

Lessons from a Punk Rock Lawyer: Intro

In a previous life, before law school I was a musician. I toured a bit, worked in studios, taught lessons and played every gig imaginable from festivals and concert venues to house parties and potluck suppers. It was a great time but I got interested in the practice of law, had kids and the idea of living on a bus for months at a time seemed unreasonable.
However, about two years ago I felt a tug back into the life of a musician. I began performing, locally at first, with Houston based celtic rock band Murder the Stout. I say, at first, because we soon got opportunities to tour. We recently toured the west coast for a week with Street Dogs, Matt Freeman of Rancid's Devil's Brigade, and Old Man Markley.
So for a week a middle aged husband and father used to a comfortable suburban existance, traded the minivan suburban life for the punk life. I've been writing up ideas about lessons learned from my experience. What works, what doesn't. I have always handled some entertainment law and it is great to be able to directly relate to what life is like for my clients. At the same time, the stress of touring essentializes and distills the human experience. Touring creates a state of liminality which breaks down existing structures and allows insight that would be hard to get to in the comfort of a suburban office. (All of this academia to say that tour is tough and you have to dig deep at times to keep together. This process is enlightening.) These insights are of course relevant to my clients outside the Punk rock world. People are people. And People on tour are much more intense people. Over the next few postings I'll be adding my insights about life from my time on the tour bus and the insight that it gave me on my law practice. The one phrase that I repeated again and again as a mantra and theme, despite it being a bit "self-helpy" for me was "Surrender to the Tour." That will be the subject of my next post and a fairly consistent theme for me. In the spirit of my mantra, I'm asking you, even thought this series idea of mine may seem silly, to "surrender to the silly idea" and keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment